Do you love quilting? Do you enjoy checking out quilting techniques and quilt patterns? If yes, then you are at the right place. I hope that you enjoy the quilting techniques and designs offered here. Browse through the site and you will find:
- free quilt patterns,
- free half square triangle unit foundation patterns, and
- tips for paper foundation piecing.
Free Quilt Patterns
At this site, you will find some examples of my quilt patterns for free.
When purchasing quilt patterns in a bricks and mortar store, you are able to browse the pattern to ensure that it is clear and complete. Because this opportunity does not exist for internet customers, I offer free quilt patterns for small projects so that you can get a feel for my patterns.
What are the most important considerations in purchasing a quilt pattern? Of course, good design is important. But the most important considerations relate to the fact that the pattern must enable you to produce an attractive and successful quilt as an end result. An excellent quilt pattern has the following features:
- Correctly and accurately identify all required materials
- Clearly identify any special tools required
- Contain or provide an easily accessible reference to special construction techniques
- Logical, easily followed instructions
Ask yourself: Can I imagine myself making this quilt as I read the instructions? If the answer is yes, then this is an excellent pattern for you.
Free Half Square Triangle Foundation Patterns
The most widely used unit in quilt blocks is the half square triangle unit. Making these units quickly and accurately is a big contributor to quilting success and satisfaction.
There are literally hundreds of methods available for making half square triangle units. In my experience, the most successful method for the weekend quilter is the use of a paper foundation pattern. The free half square triangle paper foundation patterns allow you to:
- Create as few or as many units as required,
- Ensure that every unit is exactly the same size,
- Eliminate distortions caused by bias seams,
- Achieve a straight seam when pressing, for crisp, clear blocks,
- Allow ease for the "turn of the cloth" so that the units will not be skimpy, and
- Allow you to print only those sizes that you need and only as many as you need.
And they are available 24/7 at no cost to you. Try these free half square triangle paper foundation patterns and see if you agree.
When sewing pictorial blocks or any pattern with small pieces or an intricate design, paper piecing can make it much easier to achieve the desired result. The biggest benefit provided by paper foundation piecing is accuracy. Some folks become so hooked on the accuracy of the method that they use paper piecing to create all but the most simple quilt blocks.
Because sewing on a paper foundation presents it's own challenges, the page of Tips and Hints for Paper Foundation Piecing lists many commonly encountered problems and their solutions.